Friday, November 18, 2005

Saturn


Here are my 6 "best" Saturn photos. Not bad, for SLR, but clearly the photo on 10/1/5 is by far the best - and not just because of the stacking: a single image from that night is still better than the others! Note the easy to see Cassini Division, cloud band and pole region. (Luckily I also got my best photo of Mars that night.) Of the photos I had handy, I only discarded one, so this is pretty much the history of my photographing Saturn, beginning a year ago when I foolishly didn't date the images (I'm sure the info can me found SOMEWHERE with a bit of research...). Of course, you can't see the surface features moving as on Mars, or the Great Red Spot moving as on Jupiter, or the phases as easily with Venus and the Moon, but you CAN notice the changing TILT of the planet relative to earth, especially in the last two photos, where the tilt is slowly facing the rings away from our direct gaze. Now I just need to get Jupiter, Venus and Mercury up here. Don't expect Neptune or Pluto for quite some time. I haven't photographed Neptune yet and I haven't even SEEN Pluto yet. (Imagine a smaller and darker bluer disc than Uranus and a featurless white pixel, respectively.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home