Saturday, November 05, 2005

Mars


And now for the planets (in no particular order). This photo shows Mars on four different nights over five months (not evenly spaced). The 2nd photo is by far my best planetary photo (along with Saturn taken the same night). I haven't gotten the hang of stacking images yet, as sometimes the best single image looks better than a series of stacked imaged. All were taken using eyepiece projection, and I'm certain the last three images were all through my 17mm Nagler (the first may be through an 8 or 12mm Radian, explaining it's size compared to the others when it was more distant in July). That said, the 3rd image should look the largest since that was the night after the closest approach, and I think I cropped and resized them all identically. Also, I THINK I have them all oriented properly. I could be wrong, but south is up, and the "shadow" portions are all facing the left. So the south pole in the first image is bright, but had "melted" and in the other three images the north poles' "frost" are visible on the bottom. I'm not an expert on naming the features, so I don't know what are dust storms and surface details. Maybe someone knows what we are looking at better than I do?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home